Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Tires?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Where do you guys typically buy your tires and what do you pay for them?

Do you mount and balance them yourselves or have a shop do it?
    2 of 24
    Ian
    12 years ago
    You guys should buy your own equipment and do it yourselves. It would pay for itself in no time, considering how cheap you can get tires online.

Where do I go and how much do I pay? You guys don't even want to know.
    3 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Yea, inquiring minds would like to know.
    4 of 24
    Ian
    12 years ago
    I'm due for a new set. I'll let you know what the damage is when I finally get around to getting them - probably in Spring.
    5 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Yermo, as you know, I changed four tires in my garage on Saturday. My buddy got his from Southwest Moto 1) and paid $297 for the set of Michelin PR3 (120/70/17 and 180/55/17) delivered. I got the exact same set for $299 out the door from Coleman Powersports mainly because I have such a good relationship with them (read: I spend a ridiculous amount of money there). Southwest Moto is widely considered the cheapest and best tire source from what I read on the FJR forum.

As for mounting, me and said buddy bought a Cycle Hill tire changer for $485 and I got a Marc Parnes balancer for $115
    Link #4696
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago

Motorcycle Wheel Balancer

Motorcycle wheel balancer products by Marc Parnes - learn how to balance your own motorcycle wheels and tires, complete parts list and prices included.

http://marcparnes.com/
    ). We have now done two sets of tires and I will do a third in the spring on the BMW. We are looking for additional "investors" for the machine to make it cheaper for all of us. If two more people buy in, it will have already paid for itself.

I am eating the cost of the balancer and I have the cones for my Yamaha and for the BMW so that covers a lot of bikes. And by the way, balancing is easy.
    6 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Josh, did you mount your changer to the floor in the garage?
    7 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Yes and no. I drilled four holes in the garage floor and installed 4 2" long threaded sleeves. I bought four 1/2" bolts and I bolt the changer to the floor when I need to use it...takes 2 minutes. Thus I store the changer in the corner of the garage out of the way 99.999% of the time.
    8 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    I didn't think about that. That's an excellent idea. It looks like Yun and I have a small project to do.
    9 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Which changer are you looking at?

BTW, the sleeves are Hilte. Got them at Home Depot. You drill 5/8" holes to a specified depth (so that the sleeves end up flush to the garage floor you don't want them sticking up), and then you insert a rod (I used the rod of the drill chuck key) and pound the bottom so the sleeves anchor to the concrete.
    10 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Looking at the one you listed. Cycle Hill or whatever it's called.

Yea, looks like I'll follow your example. I'm going to need to change multiple sets of tires this year. Time to man up and start turning more wrenches on my own vehicles.
    11 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Not sure I mentioned it earlier but I got my Cycle Hill changer off of Ebay. They upgrade the bead breaker to the non marking one for only $10 on Ebay which is a savings of $20. I highly recommend going that way.
    12 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Is this the listing you were talking about?

Link #4707
    Yermo
    11 years ago

Motorcycle Tire Changer Cycle Hill by No Mar | eBay

Motorcycle Tire Changer- Cycle Hill by No-Mar!! in eBay Motors, Parts & Accessories, Automotive Tools | eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...

Separately, for the tire balancer what are you using as stands for it? Can you post a photo?
    13 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    That is the one I bought. I use a couple of jack stands to hold the balancer axle bearings.

FYI I'm headed to the store to pick up tires for the S. Going with Michelin pilot power 2 ct. $260 for the set which is the Southwest Moto price matched. It pays to have friends in medium places.

If you want to see the mounting process you can come by tomorrow
    14 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    I think I would like to do that. The weather looks like it's going to be half decent. I won't want to stay too late however as I'll need to be back up in this area before the evening rolls around.
    15 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    See you at noon!

Looks like bike tech day is at my house this time. We'll be doing the tire change around 1ish for anybody interested in seeing how it works.
    16 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Which tire changer were you going to upgrade to?

17 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Not sure I will upgrade. The cheapie one seems to be working fine for now as you saw. Just have to take care when using it. I've changed 7 tires without issue so far.
    18 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Cycle Hill Tire Changer and Marc Parnes Wheel Balancer ordered.

Unfortunately, it looks like the tire changer may take two weeks to arrive.
    19 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Well, if you have an urgent need you can always use mine.
    20 of 24
    Yun Lung Yang
    12 years ago
    That maybe interesting scene riding down to VA with a new tire strapped to the back of the bike.

hahaha
    21 of 24
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    It's been done...by me.
    22 of 24
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    It might just come to that.
    23 of 24
    Yun Lung Yang
    12 years ago
    mmm hm...
    24 of 24
    Andrew Pain
    12 years ago
    I usually buy them online at Tiresunlimited, and drop ship them to my mechanic. He installs and balances them for 10-15 bucks.

I can, and have, done my own tires with tire irons. Works just fine, but it is a bit of work. Still, I can fix my tube tires on the road, which is nice to know.