Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
HID Lights for R1100SSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 11
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Josh forwarded me these links, might be worth looking into:

Link #4661
    Yermo
    11 years ago

Yun, thoughts?
    2 of 11
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I just called the store (first link) and since my bike has an H1 and H7 I'd need two kits at
    $49 shekels each.
    3 of 11
    Ian
    12 years ago
    I thought I remembered someone telling me that they weren't a good choice for motorcycles, but a quick search yields only the following:

* Mount the ballast in a well ventilated location where it will keep cool and not pick up any engine heat.

* You'll lose the ability to flash your high beams, because the bulbs take a little time to warm up.
    4 of 11
    Matt
    12 years ago
    I put a HID on my R1100S, though only on the low beam. It's just a simple H1 bulb, though finding a place for the ballast was a bit of a pain.

I wouldn't recommend one for the high beam as they take a pretty significant time to warm up and come to full brightness. Low beam is pretty awesome though.

I got mine from DealExtreme.com, probably about 3 or 4 years ago. Stay away from the really high color temperature HIDs, you won't like 'em.
    5 of 11
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I hadn't really thought about the warm up thing for flashing but then I don't remember ever flashing anybody. I put the 6000k HID bulbs on my yammy and they are awesome. Since it has moveable bulbs you don't have to worry about any heating up issues.
    6 of 11
    Matt
    12 years ago
    Yah, should have thought of those- some that are "dual element" type bulbs have shrouds that change the focus. In looking at HIDs, not every one has this, so you have to look carefully. I've seen a few "H4" bulbs that were low beam only.

How does the focus work on the moveable element bulb? Considering how highly engineered the reflectors are, I wonder what compromises (if any) there are to the beam patterns.

A R1100S has 2 separate bulbs/reflectors and the low beam stays on all the time, so the HID is a great choice (for the low beam).
    7 of 11
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    The bulbs move in and out (close and far from the mirror) and stay on all the time. Mine are H4 bulbs on the FJR. They work great and the distance the bulb travels is identical (as far as I can tell) to the in/out distance between the filliments on a normal H4 bulb.

For the R1100s this is simply not going to work. I'm rethinking the whole affair at this point.
    8 of 11
    Yun Lung Yang
    12 years ago
    ddmtuning sells the kit for even less. They are all "chinese made" lights as far as I know. If you search DDM HID r1100s it has been done a ton of times on teh pelican parts r1100s tech forum. It is a very straight forward install.

I would not put it on HI beam since you need it for flashing. Not to mention the high light output for high beam is a concern for glaring. Mileage may vary, but I wouldnt put it on the Hi beam on my bike,
    9 of 11
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I'm not all that concerned about the "flashing" issue. In 45,000 miles of motorcycling in the last few years I've never flashed anybody...at least not on the bike anyways
    10 of 11
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    I used the highbeam flash all the time to let people know it's safe to merge. This is especially useful with tractor trailers.
    11 of 11
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Well, I might have done that once.