Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Josh has joined us on the dark side.Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 4
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    It started innocently enough ...

"Here Josh, why don't you try the R1100S guest bike?", I asked.

Josh gave it a try for a few miles.

"Yun, I think Josh needs to take your built R1100S out so he can know the awesomeness that is Ohlins suspension", I suggested.

So Josh gave Yun's bike a try for a few more miles.

"Yermo, you are pure evil.", says Josh.

This bike was such a fantastic deal. Ohlins front and rear. Corbin seat with the backrest. Sargeant Seat as a spare. Luggage. Fender extensions, which Yun covets. (keeps the bike cleaner). Extended windshield. Driving light. LED rear light with brake blinkers (I think). Etc. etc. 42K miles.

Josh flew up to Mass to ride it back down yesterday in the cold.
    2 of 4
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Evil has a name...
    3 of 4
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Congratulations, Josh. Sounds like a fine bike.

How did you verify the bike's condition before flying up there? Did you have the seller take it to a reputable shop to be surveyed, or did you buy straight from a dealer?
    4 of 4
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Thanks Ian. It was purchased from an individual. I took the risk of my time and a plane ticket home quite frankly. There were many emails back and forth with the seller and a few phone calls. I also had pictures and service records and I spoke to the dealer that did the servicing on the bike. I also spoke with my friends who own and work on these bikes and Anton, my college roommate who owns a BMW repair business. Anton knows these bikes inside and out and helped me know what to look for and what questions to ask. Basically if it hadn't been wrecked I was fairly confident it was a reasonable deal.

In the end the price was low enough for me to take the risk on the purchase and I felt pretty sure the bike would make the trip (518 miles all told).

I also felt that I could get most of my money back just by selling the parts if I really had to.