Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
That Scraping Sound Is Freaking Me Out...StillSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 7
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I will preface this discussion by saying I do not go out trying to scrape my pegs but sometimes it happens...like today...

The problem is, when I scrape my pegs, I tend to panick for just a split second. It happened on Joplin Road today as I carved around the tight left hander with the 15mph yellow sign. As I hit the apex the peg began to grind. I reacted by letting up on the left grip to stop the noise. I should not do this and I can't figure out how to ignore the sound. Luckily I am not upsetting the bike with my reaction but it really bothers me that I could.

Any suggestions for conditioning myself to avoid disaster?
    2 of 7
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    I don't understand what you mean by "letting up on the left grip".
    3 of 7
    Ian
    12 years ago
    I'm sure he means to take the turn wider by pushing less hard on the inside bar end.

@jpcfjr I'm not a peg-scraper, at least not on my bike, which has plenty of clearance for me, but in my endless wisdom I would say you need to do some track days.

I think that's the answer to most motorcycling questions, come to think of it...
    4 of 7
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    @Ian...I like that answer. Yes you understood me correctly. In Total Control class, they taught us to ignore the scraping and keep pushing on the inside grip. Seems easier said than done for me at least. Another option is to shift body weight off the bike to the inside which would allow one to straighten up the bike while maintaining the line through the turn. I have not been able to react in that way either at the sound of the scraping.
    5 of 7
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Ah, inside handle grip.

Actually, chances are that you're pushing the bike down more than you need to be by supporting too much weight on the handlebars. The the Superbike school on some of the first times around I was able to drag knee easily because I was doing exactly the same thing.

Later, when I finally understood what I was doing I was going around corners much faster but not leaning anywhere nearly as aggressively. No more knee dragging for me.

Aside from that I would say get used to the sound and feel of the scape. Rinse and repeat many times until it feels normal.
    6 of 7
    rshaug
    12 years ago
    The Total Control book has a good chapter on body position in corners (Chapter 12 I think). It sounds like you're not putting the centerline of your body/mass to the low inside, making the bike do more of the work. Physics is your buddy.

Track time = great! lol. I used to be a LOT better of a rider, then I didn't go to track days or good riding classes for about 10/15 years and developed a ton of bad habits, lost confidence in the capabilities of the machines and the tires, and lowered my fear threshold too far. Track time is a really good way to develop and maintain those things safely. As soon as my schedule becomes less insane I intend to pick back up with them. I hate not having good skills, and hate more that I used to have them and let them evaporate.
    7 of 7
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I've been meaning to pick up the Total Control book.

I should say that this mostly happens when I am not already hanging off the bike...in other words, I'm being lazy and keeping my butt in place, not setting up for the turn at all. When I do the "flop" I rarely if ever scrap anything. I know I know, not trying hard enough.

As to rinsing and repeating, yup, probably the only way to get used to that sensation.