Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Deal's Gap 2012 Reservations Made!Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    51 of 57
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    With all of the build/rebuild happening with your and Josh's bikes on the final stretch into the weekend I felt bad, and a little left out. So I went out and repositioned the tank bag on the Ninja a little more to the back. I'll test drive it later and see how it holds up...I may have to move it back a little more forward. Of course now that I'm teasing you guys about it I'll probably end up throwing a rod through the crank case :-/.
    52 of 57
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    [smiles, shakes head]
    53 of 57
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    12 hours to go
    54 of 57
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Almost finished packing ... about to load up the bikes.
    55 of 57
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    First: AWESOME Trip, only bad thing? Leaving.

Notes from the ride home: The pic below, from when Josh road with me out to the end of the parkway before heading up 129 North was pretty much the last sunshine I saw until this morning.

There was drizzle, light rain, heavy rain, Noah's Ark rain, apocalypse rain...for 9 hours there was rain. Incredible. Good verification that anything advertised as waterproof actually is (it was), but definitely got very old quickly. But, the rain isn't what slowed me down the most.

The biggest slow down was for Rolling Thunder. In a bit of EPIC bad timing I hit 81 just about at the same time as the last third of the "Run for the Wall" for Rolling Thunder. There were several thousand bikes and combined with the rain made for a real mess for about 90 miles. Luckily their scheduled stop was Wytheville (the Days Inn was likely a little more exciting last night than Sat night). After their pull off it was pretty clear sailing the rest of the way. Just wet.

At one point on Rt28 in Nokesville had to cross an intersection where the water went over the footpegs. Fun! Rt 66 was the usual rain+night madness, some of the absolute heaviest rain was between Charlottsville and Burke.

Still, I would call it great :-).

Amazing time with amazing people. Thanks again!

56 of 57
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Serves you right for not CAMPING in the rain! It's just basic motorcycling karma.

Glad to hear that you guys had a good time (I guess some are still having a good time). Anyway, I'm not feeling too sorry for you. I look forward to my next awesome motorcycle trip followed by a ride home in the rain.
    57 of 57
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'm with you there..a great trip in the rain beats a day at work