Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Deal's Gap May 2012Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 16
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    So I'm beginning to doubt whether I can make it down to the Gap this fall. This makes me think about May 2012.

Week after Mothers' day right? When is mothers day next year?
    2 of 16
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    Sunday, 13 May.
    3 of 16
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Don't let anyone find out that you/we are planning a major motorcycle trip around Mother's Day. Isn't there a manly holiday around which it can be planned? How about 25 weeks before Veterans Day?
    4 of 16
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Ian, haven't you heard? We don't actually "plan" anything.
    5 of 16
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    We're just giving you plenty of notice.
    6 of 16
    Ian
    12 years ago
    It's not entirely out of the question that given eight months notice I might possibly be able to join you.

Yermo, it's pretty cool that you did the California Superbike School, but when I first saw your new image I thought maybe you had moved into a trailer park.
    7 of 16
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    That's a trailer I would gladly live in.
    8 of 16
    Phil
    12 years ago
    so who is going to gap in may
    9 of 16
    Ian
    12 years ago
    I'm definitely maybe going. Or is that maybe definitely? If I can afford to go, I will! If I had a salary job it'd be easier to plan such things...

I realize that I might have to borrow Duncan's 1874 Yamaha Trailblazer, so just make sure you don't get passed by me while riding that or you'll never hear the end of it.

Yermo, I'll let you know the minute I know if I can go or not.
    10 of 16
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    Barring any surprises, I'm on...
    11 of 16
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    @Ian I'm sure we'll be able to secure a bike for you one way or another. My thought is that I could probably borrow a bike for myself, let Bruce ride the K100RS and let you ride the R1100S.

I'll have both bikes set up and ready to go with fresh rubber well in advance of the trip.

It would be awesome if you could join us!

(Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to ship a bike to and from Washington State to DC?)
    12 of 16
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    It would be awesome if you could join us!

Thanks! I'll come if I can. For what it's worth, I haven't had so much as a whole weekend off in about nine months. I'd say the odds are about 50/50.

Yermo wrote:
    (Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to ship a bike to and from Washington State to DC?)

I got a quote from Allied Van Lines back in 2005. Still have the PDF here. $811 one-way from Port Angeles, WA to College Park, MD with residential delivery. I've heard of cheaper services, but am not sure if they actually exist and whether or not that means crating it up yourself, possible partial disassembly, warehouse dropoff/pickeup, etc. And getting my bike to Port Angeles would also cost me about a day and $50.

May be better to just ride it there.
    13 of 16
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    If you can make it I'll secure a bike. I'll make it happen.
    14 of 16
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I am definitely gonna try to make it...Europe trip a month later could throw a wrench in my plans however.
    15 of 16
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    @Ian Looks like I've got the bike covered, at least tentatively. Yun has offered to let me ride his if I end up being a bike short.
    16 of 16
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Wow, man. You guys rock. In the event that I actually manage to come... thanks, Yun! Thanks, Yermo!