Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Looks like my kinda placeSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Hello found MbyMC while sniffen around a Road Crafter email and Yermo's great report on the Transit Suit.

I too have a habit of missing the group rides because I've run further in the other direction!

Currently in Ohio out of Key West, headed for Vienna Virginia on the 5th of July.

Later Vintage Motorcycles Days in Mid-Ohio then Indy GP race in August .....off to Montreal September.

Realized I can not add images from my IPad

Insert " mind photo "here of hard bagged Honda Blackbird up on Blue Ridge Parkway
    ...LoL
    2 of 22
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Thanks for the post! Man, I envy you!

The Blue Ridge Parkway is such a awesome ride. It's my second favorite road in the country.

Have you ever ridden through Maine? Be careful up there, it's like riding through a third world country. Worst roads in the nation, IMHO.
    3 of 22
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    I'll have to see if I can borrow someone's iPad to see what to do about image uploading.
    4 of 22
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Wow, long trip! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Hope you don't get stuck in DC area traffic on a hot day. Traffic's pretty bad around there.

Keep us updated and post some pics when you can. I am riding vicariously through others until I get my fuel system back together.
    5 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Thanks Yermo
    I've done the BR Parkway and Dragon 6-7 times.
    Although everyone should do the Dragon once...it's a dog and pony show now reminds me of a theme park...Cops and Squids.

The iPad photo Tingy is a problem ....I could email u photos to upload I guess if you want to deal with that.
    6 of 22
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    We tend to go in early May during the middle of the week when the lightweights and squids are in significantly fewer numbers. The popularity of the place will be it's undoing which is why I'm trying to get in as many trips as I can before that happens.

You could certainly send me photos to yml and yml dot come but I need to come up with a more permanent solution for ipad users.
    7 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Hi Ian

I just went through that same fuel pump/ filter/ hose replacement issue on the "Submarine"
    that's what I call the Titanium Blackbird I'm on, more about that name later...lol

That tank was horrible and the filter rust full...who knew!?

My advice is get it done NOW it's summer!
    Make sure the tank is free of rust even if you need to have it cleaned and recoated.
    8 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Yep I get the off season - middle of the week plan, always a good idea.

Yes I've been on the Maine roads, white mountains in New Hampshire and North West Main....don't hit a Moose, could hurt some.

Love the food and leather Mini Skirts in Montreal.....
    9 of 22
    Ian
    12 years ago

My advice is get it done NOW it's summer!
    Make sure the tank is free of rust even if you need to have it cleaned and recoated.

No kidding. The weather is gorgeous and the bike is just sitting in the garage. The new filter and lines are ready and waiting for the new fuel pump to arrive, which is in transit. In the States, that would be about three days, but living north of the border slows things down. Could I have it by next weekend? At least the Canada Post strike is over.

Working on stuff inside the tank is no fun. For reassembly, I plan on getting an unsuspecting friend to come give me a hand.

Edit: No rust in the tank, thank goodness. Didn't do an autopsy on the old fuel filter, but that might have been a good idea.
    10 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    My Monster needs to have the tank pulled and the same thing done.

It lives in Key West where the air is Salty and humid.

Warning from the Saltwater Outboard Dealers
    About Ethenol and the fact that it is Hydroscopic " attracts " moisture in your tank.

They have dropped Ethenol Gasoline from Marinas because of so many engine problems with WATER in the fuel system.

When I store my bikes I stop at the marina and carry a five gallon can of gas to put in tank with a good bit of fuel conditioner.

Today's fuel sermon! lol

Good luck with your Duck.....
    11 of 22
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    My monster lives in my pan....oops, wrong forum...nevermind...

Nice thread...always good to hear about adventures. My buddy has a Blackbird...says you have to remove the exhaust manifold to get to the oil filter. I told him that's a bike I would have sold a long time ago if that was the case. He loves it though.

Wave to us sad day jobbers in DC as you come through. Rubber side down!
    12 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    We Blackbird owners suffer from FJR envy !?

Your friend must have after market headers because I have no problem removing the oil filter , piece of cake.

That's one thing we have all learned the hard way...sometimes the factory engineers really did know what they
    Were doing.

But a Blackbird with hot pipes may run 186 top end instead of the off the show room floor of 183 mph...LOL
    13 of 22
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    The extra 3 mph is most useful on the beltway!
    14 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Ho Ho !
    So is clean oil....lol
    15 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Ok ok so I'm in Vienna VA and survived 495 ...up to this point anyway!

Hey Miami's not a blast either but we have more Cuban Girls...just sayin
    16 of 22
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Welcome to northern VA, expect delays!

Confirmed with my buddy...aftermarket pipes on his b bird.
    17 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Yes I figured the pipes were not stock.

I'm back in Ohio after a great week in DC area with a pal ...wrenching on my two Blackbirds.

And riding Maryland/Pa border twistys.

We got caught in the driving cool front rain storm/tornado in that area Saturday.

Sitting in a motel bar with soaked dripping leathers for 1 1/2 hours starting at the weather channel as the info strip on the bottom of the scream was warning " flash flooding in your area"

Our plan was get 2 rooms on the second onr for us one for the Blackbird and Johnnys FJR if the floods come....lol

You will enjoy knowing I spent a hour on Swiftys 2009 Black FJR and found it to be my probable Future long hauler.

When I become an adult....if....I'm only 63

All kidding aside great bike that FJR and I didn't notice the extra weight at all
    18 of 22
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    Heh. It's never too late to *not* become an "adult".

I've ridden those twisties on the MD/PA border with YML a bunch of times--great rides/roads out that way. Sorry to hear about the weather excitement, but you win some, you lose some, right? We got dumped on pretty good in the I-81 corridor in VA back in May.

Put me down in the "total envy" column for the trip you just took--I've not been able to do anything longer than a couple of Deal's Gap runs from DC in recent years.

Not complaining though--those are great runs--but I'd love to take another really long one before too long. Just gotta figure out how to fit it in around job/vacation/family, etc. (round up the usual suspects)...
    19 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Loves that K1300S :}
    20 of 22
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    For me at least, it's the Best. Bike. Ever.
    21 of 22
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Duncan, even if it's not the perfect bike for everyone, it is no doubt the perfect engine for us all! SICK!
    22 of 22
    chaserkeywest
    12 years ago
    Both the FJR and the K13S are super long haulers with different personalities

The Blackbird is closer to the BMW but with the right farkles all of them will sceam across the state.

Hey we have it tuff!