Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Another great local ride.Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 5
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    gcraigm knocked another ride plan out of the park using a combination of the tools here on Miles By Motorcycle and the algorithmic Curvature site to assess a "curviness rating" of the roads he was looking at.

He wrote a blog entry about it:

gcraigm
    3 years ago
    Blog Article (155229)

Prolog

How it got started Originally this ride was titles "Riding 'Road Curvature' roads to EMMR".  I had this idea and it went something like this.... What if we took a bunch of roads from a website dedicated to finding curvy roads, stitched them together on our way up to the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing?   Eastern Museum of Motor Racing I first found out about this place only a few weeks ago.  I was gathering points in a scavenger hunt sponsored by Bob's BMW in celebration of the 40th ...Read More

He was a bit concerned that this ride wouldn't live up to the expectations set by his last planned ride, but, once again, we had a wonderful day ride.

Ride #155058
    gcraigm
    3 years ago

Riding "Curvature" roads around Prettyboy

Stitching together a few segments found on road Curvature project maps, with a loop around Prettyboy Reservoir.

2 of 5
    What is Prettyboy and what's it like? Looks interesting.
    3 of 5
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    It's a reservoir North and West of Baltimore that has some dramatically nice and twisty roads (for the area).

4 of 5
    Robermcm
    3 years ago
    for what it’s worth, there’s a feature in the inRoute app for curviness. It shows it on your current route and let’s you choose to create a route that picks the curviest roads. Another reason I like that app for route planning. 
    5 of 5
    Yermo
    3 years ago
    I'm pondering something like that here but the big difference between what we're doing and what everyone else is, is that we're focusing on the human element. A road can be super curvy and suck for a good number of reasons. Until a rider of your particular styles puts eyes on the road and can report back the human experience, you're not going to have much of an idea whether or not a given road is good or not.

More on this coming very soon. I'm on the verge of finishing up the first 1.0Alpha1 release of the new ride planner, which is a complete rewrite/redesign, that embodies this idea much more cleanly.