Discontinued Ohlins ShockSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 8
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    So I was up at Bob's today and to my surprise a red K1 rolled up equipped with an Ohlins shock.

The K100RS and the K1 accept the same shock.

So I mentioned this to Steve, the tech working on my bike, and he said he just pulled a couple of old Ohlins shocks off a couple of K100RSs.

Damn.

The shock for my bike has long since been discontinued but the one they have there is rebuildable, and, unfortunately, needs to be rebuilt.

They want $500 for the shock and it'll cost about $250 to have it rebuilt. They may give me something in trade for the progressive I have on my bike right now.

Ryan was saying Penske can make custom shocks, but they don't have much standing in BMW circles.

I simply hate the progressive I have on there now. It's about an inch too short.

Wilburz will make a custom shock as well for about the same price as the used Ohlins option above.

It's alot of money for a used shock. I was looking on Ebay and couldn't find a single example of that shock for sale. Having on Ohlins on my bike would be pretty cool ...

Thoughts?
    2 of 8
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    You know it's rare when a google search on the part number yields only 1 result ... damn.
    3 of 8
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    If it were me, they'd already be rebuilt and on my bike, used or not

Yermo wrote:
    So I was up at Bob's today and to my surprise a red K1 rolled up equipped with an Ohlins shock.

The K100RS and the K1 accept the same shock.

So I mentioned this to Steve, the tech working on my bike, and he said he just pulled a couple of old Ohlins shocks off a couple of K100RSs.

Damn.

The shock for my bike has long since been discontinued but the one they have there is rebuildable, and, unfortunately, needs to be rebuilt.

They want $500 for the shock and it'll cost about $250 to have it rebuilt. They may give me something in trade for the progressive I have on my bike right now.

Ryan was saying Penske can make custom shocks, but they don't have much standing in BMW circles.

I simply hate the progressive I have on there now. It's about an inch too short.

Wilburz will make a custom shock as well for about the same price as the used Ohlins option above.

It's alot of money for a used shock. I was looking on Ebay and couldn't find a single example of that shock for sale. Having on Ohlins on my bike would be pretty cool ...

Thoughts?
    4 of 8
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Yea, after thinking about it, I've already got the Transit Suit on and am going to go up there. The spring needs to be replaced anyways so I can get them to give me the right rate. I just need to make sure it's the correct stock length and not set up for someone shorter.
    5 of 8
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Rode up to Bob's. Talked to Chris Maloney up there who does their Ohlins rebuilds and helps people set up their suspensions.

The Ohlins BM4200 they have is the stock length and has the integrated reservoir making installation easier. After doing some google searches and talking to the people at Bob's I decided to go ahead, get the shock and have it rebuilt.

It should be ready next week sometime. At that point I'll take the bike up there and they are going to show me how to set it up correctly. While I'm there we're going to evaluate the front end as well.

I talked to Chris about the racetech upgrades but he seemed to think that it may be unnecessary. I'll have to do some more research on it. My impression is the rebound dampening is not correct.
    6 of 8
    mothman
    13 years ago
    Did you just said "used shock" & "cool" in a sentence?
    7 of 8
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    This is excellent news, except that now you'll *really* be a pain to keep up with

As for the rebound dampening, do you mean with or without the racetech inserts? AFAIK, they allow you to have adjustable dampening where you don't have it now...
    8 of 8
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    Why yes, he did--best shock money can buy IMO. They completely transform the handling of most bikes they're installed on.

mothman wrote:
    Did you just said "used shock" & "cool" in a sentence?