Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Tire plugSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 2
    Ian
    13 years ago
    For years I've carried around a standard tire plug kit with its gooey "worms", reamer tool, etc. without ever having the need to use it. I thought I would tempt fate and stop carrying it around with me.

I didn't get a flat on the bike, but I DID get a chance to test it out on my car's tire, which got a screw in it. I seem to get those at least every 18 months now that I'm a town-dweller.

The good news is that the plug worked fine and was easy to install. I did it in my garage, otherwise I wouldn't have had a source of air to reinflate the tire on the side of the road. However, I found that the unopened little tube of rubber cement was practically empty and had just a few drops worth in it, barely enough to apply. Getting another patch kit would be in order before heading out on a motorcycle road trip. Also, on the bike I now carry a small 12V air pump in place of the old CO2 cartridges. Much more practical. Of course, last road trip I took I suffered a dead battery...
    2 of 2
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    I've carried a stop 'n go plug kit with mushroom plugs that I bought from Bob's since I got my K13, and an aerostitch micro-compressro.

Last year, when I got a flat out in the western exurbs (Josh: "say, what's that (hissing) sound?), it worked perfectly and got me back home, and then to Bob's for a replacement tire.

The only mistake I made was with the first plug that I pulled out a bit too far to cut off the excess--it pulled out and I had to start over. Based on my experience, the second one would've gone as far as I needed it too, even if I were in the middle of nowhere.

I have the C02 cylinders as well, but the compressor is so tiny, I carry them only as a backup.